Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sorry I have been out...

Hello Parents and Students!

I am sorry I have been out of school the past few days. Mr. Dowd has been in the hospital since Saturday with a severely herniated disk in his lower back (L5-S1 for those of you familiar with back issues) and a bulging disk above it (L4). His pain has been unbearable even with medication, and I have actually stayed with him (sleeping in a chair) the past few nights. We finally saw an orthopedic doctor on Monday evening who gave us the option of having an epidural cortisone injection, which is a temporary solution, or having surgery to remove the herniated disk. We decided on the injection, which will be done Tuesday around lunch time. We will know within 24-48 hours after the injection if it is going to help or if he will still need surgery.

I really miss being with the kids, but I have to be with Mr. Dowd right now. I honestly couldn't think about leaving him alone in the hospital when he can't even sit up to eat or walk to the bathroom without extreme pain. I plan on coming in on Wednesday, but if I am not there, I am still at the hospital. I have been sending in lessons for the substitute to teach, so the students are learning the same information as if I was in school with them.

Thank you for being so understanding while I am out. If you do need to contact me, feel free to send me an email. I try to check it once a day when I run home to feed our cat and our fish.

Sincerely,
Heather Dowd

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Mr.Dowd. I hope everthing goes well! Hopefully the injection will work.. I will keep my fingers crossed!